Spring has sprung and meal planning is a must. Here is another week of ideas and recipes for another favorite soup, Indian Red Lentil – Dal Shorva, Almond Crusted Halibut (now in season), a homemade Caesar Salad Dressing and what you have all been waiting for ….Sesame Baked Tofu. Yum! 🙂
Meal Plan-Week Four
Sunday Vegetable Stir Fry on Brown Rice with peanut sauce and Sesame Baked Tofu
Monday Nicoise Salad, Almond Crusted Halibut
Tuesday Lentil & Bean Stuffed Baked Sweet Potatoes, steamed asparagus
Wednesday Indian Red Lentil- Dal Shorva, 1 thick slice alpine bread
Thursday Leftover Lentil and Beans, toasted whole grain pita, sauteed swiss chard
Friday Black Bean Quesadillas and guacamole, spring salad with homemade dressing
Saturday Pesto kissed tomatoe pasta, Caesar salad with homemade dressing & crouton, steamed broccoli
INDIAN LENTIL SOUP (DAL SHORVA)
2 ¼ cups red lentils or yellow split lentils or mung beans (red lentils cook fastest)
1 ½ tsp turmeric
¾ tsp cayenne pepper
1 ½ tsp ground cumin
¾ tsp curry powder or ½ tsp cardamon
4-5 bay or curry leaves
9 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- Rinse lentils. Add lentils, stock and turmeric, cayenne, cumin, curry and leaves to soup pot and bring to a boil.
- Let simmer until the lentils are very soft (about 25-30 min)
- If using bay leaves remove them now. Curry leaves can be left in the soup.
- Mash soup slightly but not too smooth.
- Saute together in a small non-stick pan 3 minced garlic cloves, 2 tsp mustard seeds, 1 ½ tsp dry mustard powder and 3 tbsp vegetable oil until garlic is softened. Add to soup, stir will and serve hot with a wedge of lemon squeezed in.
ALMOND Crusted Halibut
½ cup almonds chopped
¼ cup wheat germ
1 tsp dried tarragon
1 tsp grated lemon rind
Pinch salt and fresh ground pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
4 fillets (about 3-4 oz each of halibut (skin removed)
1. Place almonds into a food processor and chop until resembles oatmeal. Remove to a shallow dish and add wheat germ, tarragon, lemon rind, salt and pepper and combine.
2. Pat fillets using paper towel, brush some oil over the fish. Dredge in nut mixture to coat both sides.
3, Place fillets on parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake in oven at 425 degrees for 10-20 minutes depending o thickness.
Sesame Baked Tofu
1 block x-firm or firm organic tofu
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
¼ tsp cracker pepper
1 tbsp sesame seeds (raw)
Cut tofu into ½” cubes into a small bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Stir and let sit for about 15 min, toss a couple of times more. Spread on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. (this works really well in a toaster oven)
Add to any Asian flavored vegetable stir-fry.
¼ cup olive oil
1 clove garlic minced
¼ tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp dry mustard powder
½ lemon, freshly squeezed
1 ½ tsp white wine vinegar
½ tsp honey
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (optional)
Whisk all ingredients together.