I have been looking for a good Asparagus Soup for awhile now… found this one online, tried it and loved it. Enjoy… the season for asparagus is short.
Creamy Asparagus Soup- Jamie Oliver
800 gms asparagus, woody ends removed
2 tbsp olive oil
2 medium white onions, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, trimmed and chopped
2 leeks, trimmed and chopped
8 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the tips off of your asparagus and put these to the side for later. Roughly chop the asparagus stalks.
- In a large deep soup pot heat olive oil on medium and add the onions, celery & leeks and sauté for about 10 minutes, until soft but not browned. Add the chopped asparagus and stock and simmer for 20 minutes with the lid on.
- Remove from the heat and blitz with a hand blender until smooth or put into blender in batches (be careful –it’s hot!)
- Season the soup bit by bit with salt and pepper until just right. (This is important, just do a little at time (I used about 1 tsp in total of salt).
- Put the soup back on medium high heat and add the asparagus tips and bring to boil, then simmer for a few more minutes until the tips are tender.
Delicious! Best Asparagus soup and it’s dairy freeJ